Thursday, January 19, 2012

Review: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

The Fault In Our Stars
Published by: Dutton Juvenile
John Green
Released: January 10th, 2012
( Barnes & Noble / Goodreads )
Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.
-Goodreads

Thougts/Review:
Can I be honest with you all? This review was so hard for me to write. I really wanted this book to sink in before I wrote it but thanks to a sleepless night full of thoughts scurrying around my head I decided that I HAD to write it today.  This story is a heart wrenching, joy inducing, change your life kind of book. The way John Green deliverers it makes sure you will not rest until the story of Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters is told. There was not a single idea in this piece of work that I disliked. In fact, I am going to have extreme problems forming coherent ideas/sentences about how much I adore this book.

First off, can I start by confessing my undying love for Augustus Waters? Like seriously people. That boy was remarkable and I believe the world just NEEDS more Augustus Waters in it. He has this dark yet infectious sense of humor that just draws you in. And the outlook this boy has on life rivals that of any full grown man I have ever known. And Hazel Grace [our MC] is no different. The way these two communicated and the short love that they share is breathtaking. I have this huge admiration for the way these two grew in light of the circumstances that faced them. I don't think I’ve ever connected with two characters more than I have with Augustus and Hazel.

I wish I could personally shake the hand of John Green for writing this book. I have never known anyone close to me that has cancer, and this book opened my eyes.  Not only in the light of seeing how one faces the illness but the side of how young adults and young children deal with their own demise and who they are leaving behind. There were so many passages that utterly moved me to tears that I just don't know how I've lived my whole life without reading this book. [I know, it only just came out, but that is how I feel darn it!] It really reminds you that no matter how prepared you are for a certain outcome, you are never truly ready.  I was so far away from ready, in fact, that I felt like I fell off a cliff and landed tear ducts first.

In light of finishing, I bawled like a baby for about 10 minutes. I felt like my best friend had just been taken from me. And I know it is my fault for falling head over heels in love with Augustus and Hazel, but it made me understand and appreciate the book that much more. John Green has flabbergasted me beyond belief. I honestly didn’t think that when I picked this book up it would affect me so much.. So, thank you John Green. Thank you for creating such an amazing story of life, death, and finally finding the strength to let go and enjoy what you have while you have it. I don’t think I will ever be the same. [Or love a boy more than I love Augustus Waters. Just sayin’.]


Rating: 
★★★★★★
Six Stunning Stars
[because I can!]
**** **** **** ****
Gosh darn it folks. I LOVED this book. It now has it's own shelf on my goodreads page. I know, I may have babbled a bit but sheesh. If you have not checked this book out yet, you should do so fast like!! If this is already on your to be read list, make some room! It is one of those books you just have to read. [:

5 comments:

  1. I've always thought that the Fault in Our Stars looked like a pretty emotional read, but I didn't think it could ever impact somebody in such a huge way! :) I love books that actually have me caring about the characters, so I have a feeling I'd really like this. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I knew from the start that by falling for Gus and his relationship with Hazel so quickly into the book, I was in for a heartbreak. I wouldn't even categorize this book as YA because anyone can read it and still relate to the pain and humor within it. So glad I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww...I'm so glad you loved this! I want to read it, but I'm so afraid of the ugly cry. I'm totally convinced that I should read it, and I will. I just need tonmake sure I'm ready. Great review! Truly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! Awesome review...made me even more excited to read it :) should be getting it soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You took the words right out of my mouth!! I couldn't put how I felt about this book in words it was that amazing! And I love Augustus Waters too!!!
    Pavan

    ReplyDelete