Monday, January 23, 2012

Musing Mondays [4]

It is that time again folks! Monday rolling around means that it is time for another fun edition of Musing Monday! Musing Monday is a weekly meme hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading. Each week there is a new book related question asked and we get to respond! It is a great way to meet some new friends also. [:

This weeks question asks:

Why do you think the Young Adult genre is so popular with even the adult readers? Do you read YA books, yourself?

I think adults love YA for the same reason any of us do. Oh, and yes, I am a totally YA freak!

The reason I enjoy YA is simply due to multiple reasons. [: First off, you have a more imaginative plot and there are more variety's of said plots. It makes for a more interesting read and when you have a big book junkie like myself, and many of you, its nice to have a choice and know you will read something fresh and new. Secondly, the relationships in YA are way more fun to read. These are guys and gals in high school who are falling in like, questioning their feelings, and flirting their pants off [sometimes quite literally] and it makes you feel all giddy inside. Thirdly, it is nice to read a book that you take something away from. Even though these are YA books, I feel like sometimes the theme and the writing lets even adults take the message to heart. Sometimes we forget to go back to the "simple" answers that can make all the difference. And finally, I just love the snarky, quirky, down right hilarious dialog that these characters exude. I love to laugh when I read, even if it makes people look at me weird and these books have that. I feel like the characters in YA are still young and therefore haven't lost all that drive to rebel or make the person they are crushing on a bit mad. It makes for major laughs and then I fall hard for some fictonal boy I can never have *sigh* [Augustus Waters in The Fault in Our Stars for SURE]

So uh yeah. That is why I LOVE Ya, and I am pretty sure that is why it draws a large adult crowd also. Everyone likes to remember there first crush and that feeling you got in the pit of your stomach. With rich dialog and fantastic plots to boot, who wouldn't fall in love with YA?
**** **** **** ****
Are you a YA reader? Why do you think it is so crazy popular? Leave your own Musing Monday link or just drop a comment and let me know! I am pretty sure most of you gush about YA as much as me. [:

1 comment:

  1. well said shawna!!!!! i think its popular because its easy to read and i think emotions and topics covered have deeper connections than other books. i dont know i dont read to many adult books. the YA it just so much more fun. i know i tend to age my characters in my head just a bit to relate a bit more. i just dont relate to HS so much so i just think of them in college! hehe

    Tara

    ReplyDelete