Monday, January 16, 2012

Review: Love & Leftovers by Sarah Tregay

Love & Leftovers
Published by: HarperTeen
Sarah Tregay
Released: December 27th 2011

My wish
is to fall
cranium over Converse
in dizzy, daydream-worthy
love.

When her parents split, Marcie is dragged from Idaho to a family summerhouse in New Hampshire. She leaves behind her friends, a group of freaks and geeks called the Leftovers, including her emo-rocker boyfriend, and her father.

By the time Labor Day rolls around, Marcie suspects this "vacation" has become permanent. She starts at a new school where a cute boy brings her breakfast and a new romance heats up. But understanding love, especially when you've watched your parents' affections end, is elusive. What does it feel like, really? can you even know it until you've lost it?

Love and Leftovers is a beautifully written story of one girl’s journey navigating family, friends, and love, and a compelling and sexy read that teens will gobble up whole.
-Goodreads
*A copy of this book was won on goodreads*

Thoughts/Review:
I have read verse books before when I was younger and really loved how they flowed and how a whole story was managed to be told without really being told. This book was no different. I picked it up around 2 p.m and was done with it at 4 p.m. I didn't put it down once after I picked it up and my god was it great. It was so easy to just lose yourself in the pages and forget everything going on around you. It was so unbelievably sweet, honest, and raw that I just didn't want it to end.

This book is told in Marcie's point of view. But actually it is her poetry journal. Not only is that brilliant, but it works so well you will ask yourself why more authors don't go this route. You get to see Marcie deal with her problems and confront questions she has and it just connects you to her so much that you start to feel like it's your best friends diary you're reading. Dealing with problems at home, a move across the states and confusion over two boys you quickly begin turning the pages waiting to see what Marcie has to say next. You get a glimpse back into the life of a 16 year old and it was marvelous. The unknowing feeling of love, the heartache of things you took for granted being ripped away from you, and the way everything can mend itself back together if you take the effort to fix it.

I really wish this book was around when I was in middle school, because it is perfect for those teenagers who are gearing up to be in an emotional storm. And the way this book is written is perfect for even those non-readers who despise long books. Sure, this book is over 400 pages, but it certainly does not feel that way. There are so many different subjects broached in this book that it is perfect for some many types of people it could only be described as a bit of coming of age type of novel. I really don't think I could tell you all how much I really love this book. It is now on my favorites shelf and I know I will be re-reading it again and again.

So next time you are at the book store don't overlook this beauty. 8 or 80 it doesn't matter. This book will capture your heart and make you realize that sometimes the problems in life make it that much sweeter in the end.

Rating:
★★★★★
Five Amazing Stars
[love dub/love dub]
**** **** **** ****
Eeep! People. I read this book in a little under two hours. It was simply freaking amazing. I know a lot of you have it on your own to be read list, but if you don't GO ADD IT!! I just want to run around and hug everyone I see now. <3

4 comments:

  1. I am so happy you loved this book!!! I was so freaking blown away. I wish everyone would read this book. It deserves way more hype.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This books sounds really good, great review! (=

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been a big verse novel person, but that's mostly because I haven't read many. I do like that you can read a 400 page novel in 2 hours. I should try this.

    ReplyDelete