Sunday, January 29, 2012

Soul Screamers Reading Challenge: My Soul To Take [Soul Screamers #1] by Rachel Vincent

My Soul To Take
[Soul Screamers #1]
Rachel Vincent
Released: August 1st 2009 by Harlequin Teen
( Barnes & Noble / Goodreads )
She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.
-Goodreads

Thoughts/Review:
Words cannot describe how surprised I was with this book. Since this is my first time reading this series, I decided to read all of them [including the novellas] in order. Though this was nothing like My Soul To Lose, I immensely enjoyed it. I kind of found it funny that they only mentioned the mental institutions once or twice towards the middle, but anyway… I was more than ecstatic when I flipped the last page of this book and knew that I had officially became a Soul Screamers fanatic. I can now sing the praises of Rachel Vincent with the best of you, aren’t you all so glad?

Now there is nothing better than starting out a book with Kaylee [main character] sneaking into an 18+ club with Emma [the best friend]. Well, there are a few ways to spice up said scene. Enter Nash [hottest stud at school] and a chilling discovery n’ BAM, you have yourself a first chapter to keep you hooked until Kaylee opens that pretty little mouth of hers and then some. Now, I was not so sure of Nash in the beginning. He never even spoke to or even looked at Kaylee before this night, only to end up playing her knight in shining armor come nights end? Come on now. But, pleasantly, I was all wrong about Mr. McDreamy. Yes, Nash is my new McDreamy. 

I really enjoyed getting to know Kaylee and all that she is. The concept behind this book was just lovely to read and I have not seen one other author out there do it like Rachel Vincent. Craving the information being held back [not to mention Nash], my eyes couldn’t devour the words fast enough. I thought that this book had enough man candy as it was, until Tod entered and rocked my world. I have found, with recent books I have been reading, that reapers are deadly studs who I would gladly invite to kill me. I am having a bad boy streak lately folks, so I cannot help but to root for Tod, even if I know he isn’t going to win out. Is he? OH! The suspense kills me. And not to mention that little surprise thrown at you in the aftermath of everything going to hell and back, can we say WOAH?!

Hooked from page one and teetering on the edge of my seat for a crazy soul stealing ride I was more shocked than your mother when she found out you’ve seen a man indecently exposing himself at a football game when the ending slapped me in the face. Like WHAT?! I never saw it coming, and for that, I applaud not only Rachel but you readers for not giving it away in reviews. I mean, I don’t know how you all kept that sucker from me, but damn was it an intense ride. 

As I sing my final note of praise for Rachel Vincent and her magnificent characters I just want you all to know how shocked and astounded I was with book number one. It was so much more than I ever expected and I can’t wait to continue on with Kaylee in this thrilling series of death, love, and secrets.

Rating:
★★★★★
Five Wailin' Stars
[Soul Screamers Junkie]
**** **** **** ****
Eeep! Guys, I am SO glad I started this challenge. I LOVE these books and I am only two books in. Like seriously, how did it take me so LONG to get around to reading them?! It is so safe to say I am a junkie now. <3

5 comments:

  1. I am so happy you loved MStTake!! Nashhhhhhhhhh!! I love him! He was everything Kaylee needed at this point in her life. I was so shocked at the ending the first time I read this. Not by Tod, but by who the "bad guy" was. Each book in this series is better than the last. So hold on to your socks, MStSavs is a doozie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!!! So happy we've sucked you into the SS club!!!! Just wait, they get better and better! I love Nash for many reasons. I hated Tod when I first read the series, but now he's my guy! You and I like A LOT of the same stuff, so you'll agree with me more and more as you read the series. :) Now you must read RV's Shift Series! You will adore it! It's more adult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why I haven't heard of these before, but they look awesome :) I'll have to check them out.

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was worried about this one and not sure if I should read it. But, you did a lovely interview so perhaps I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I originally started out reading Rachel's Shifter series, and loved it! So like you I have heard so much praise for the Soul Screamers series and then I stumbled upon the reading challenge for the series so I decided to give it a try. I am on the novella, Reaper, but I have been taking a short break since it is kind of a back story for Tod. I'm a Tod fan by the way! Nash has been pissing me off, lol, but I won't say why since I don't want to spoil anything. Needless to say I like the series very much, not only because I'm a Rachel Vincent fan but because this series seems so unique compared to a lot of books I have read, well except the netherworld is done in a lot of different books, all with there own twists. Any way just thought I would comment on this post for the contest since I have also read this book.

    ReplyDelete