Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Review: Obsidian [Lux #1] by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian
Lux #1
Jennifer L. Armentrout
Released: December 6th 2011 by Entangled Publishing
( Barnes & Noble / Goodreads )
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don’t kill him first, that is.
-Goodreads

Thoughts/Review:
For the love of all that is steamy and sexy, what have I gotten myself into?! I wasn’t trying to get wrapped into another bad boy [or maybe I was] but it was inevitable with this book. Who knew aliens could be so hot, or so infuriating? I am the happiest person ever that a few choice friends basically forced me to read this book NOW instead of waiting a few more weeks. I was pissed, coveting, drooling and yelling basically the whole time. This story, the characters, everything got under my skin in the best way possible and I don’t think I can ever look at aliens the same way again.

This story wasted no time what so ever getting my attention and connecting me to the story and our MC Katy. See, Katy is a book blogger [awesome right?] who has had to move to a new state 3 years after her father passed away from cancer. A new start is what her mom wants for them and a new start is exactly what they get. See since Katy is pretty much a recluse [what book blogger isn’t? Or is it just me?] her mom wants her to play nice, make some new friends and get out of the house more often. Luckily for Katy her next door neighbors are her age, but playing nice is easier said than done when it comes to Dee, more accurately her brother Daemon.

If you know me then you know I am such a huge sucker for bad boys. And this book had the best one of them all. Because not only was he a bad boy who could kick anyone’s ass, he is as arrogant as the come. Yes, I know, arrogance is not an admirable quality in a man. But trust me, in Daemon it is. As you should know any good bad boy has layers to him people! As soon as Katy meets him at his front door [shirtless mind you] I knew I would never be the same. There is just something about the way that boy carries himself that just makes me want to slap him in the best way possible.  Daemon is sexy, I will give him that but I wouldn’t have loved him and his arrogance as much if it weren’t for Katy.

Katy is snarky, witty, and is a huge breath of fresh air for the YA genre. She isn’t whiny, she doesn’t complain all the time and when she needs to she takes everything into her own badass hands and takes care of it. One reason I fell in love with this cruel angsty relationship was the fact that Katy didn’t let the intolerable Daemon turn her into an introverted little girl. She stood up to him and that made the sexual tension rise so high it consumed me all the way over here. I adore a book that makes me feel all the angst of a situation and then some *fans self* A little heat is never a bad thing people! I also have to say I am a huge fan of Dee. I love how hard she tried to seem normal before everything is blown sky high and how hard she works at trying to handle Daemon when he is at his worst.

This book took me by surprise and I am proud to say that I am now a Jennifer L. Armentrout fan. Her writing has captivated me and thrown me into another unhealthy crushationship with a bad boy who is bound to break my heart before all is said and done.  Wither you are an existing Armentrout fan or new to her work, DON’T pass this one up. And watch out for the second book Onyx [which I am impatiently waiting for] that comes out in May. This series is going to be the death of me people but I think I am going to like it. As long as Daemon is there. With his shirt off. Dayam.

Rating:
★★★★★
Five Fearsome Stars
[Arrogance never looked so good]
**** **** **** ****
Well. What can I say. You totally can not blame me for falling head over heels in love with this one people. If you don't know what I am talking about then you need to head on over to goodreads or Amazon or Barnes & Noble and check it out. I can't WAIT for May. ;]

7 comments:

  1. *sigh* Daemon :) Glad you liked it! I loved it as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe oh yea! i was hoping you would like this book!!! and OH man Daemon is my fave bad boy/fictional man i wish was real character EVER!!!! he is just rawr on legs!!!! oh man! hehe great review!!!!

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't just like this book, I LOVED it. I can't wait for the next one. She is going to try and prove she doesn't want him...*sigh* it is only going to get steamier!!!
    [:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love being a choice friend:) Glad you listened to us though and that you like it. Very good review lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you lobed Obsidian. JLA is the master of snark, right?!
    Let's just say, Daemon can blow up my laptop anytime!
    Great, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katy is an admirable character indeed. But, I guess, it really is Daemon that made reading Obsidian all the more interesting for me.
    He's just hands-down swoon-worthy. Plus, the arrogant attitude he has is such a turn on rather than an annoying quality.
    Looking forward to Onyx and, hopefully, to more Daemon shirtless-ness. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Take some really hot, sizzling character chemistry, two stubborn love interests who know how to push each other's buttons, and add in some awesome out of this world characters and you've got the makings for one fabulously written story. Jennifer Armentrout never fails to make me fall head over heals in love with her writing and her characters. How could I not? Her sizzling character chemistry, well written characters, and action packed books always leaving wanting more. Obsidian definitely does all that and more.

    ReplyDelete